Inspired by Mr. Rogers, BFS alum Benjamin Weiner ’03 recently produced this video to help his young friends talk about their fears regarding the coronavirus. Ben is currently teaching First Grade at St. Ann’s School in Brooklyn, NY. Those lucky kiddos are being treated to the daily videos Benjamin makes, each featuring a variety of sock puppets and other characters from his Princess Backpack shows.
Ben majored in theater at Columbia University, and he has written several musicals. His BFS kindergarten teacher Olwen Jarvis recalls fondly how Benjamin showed up to her classroom on many days clad in his Superman costume. He sure is a superhero to his students!
And, as this is a “blog,” I’m sharing the following, from which I found comfort and inspiration, Queen Elizabeth’s speech to the United Kingdom yesterday:
- “I hope in the years to come that everyone will be able to take pride in how they responded to this challenge.”
- “…an opportunity to slow down, to pause and reflect…”
- “…we know deep down that it is the right thing to do.”
- “…using the great advantage of science and our instinctive compassion to heal.”
- “We will succeed, and that success will belong to every one of us.”
- “Better days will return. We will be with our friends again. We will be with our families again. We will meet again.”
- “But, for now, I send my thanks and warmest good wishes to all.”